Sorry Martin,

I disagree.  You have no problem explaining it in person, sure.  But with
the marketing, you're not explaining it in person.  You are explaining it
through pictures and writing that the customers can easily ignore.

Also, there are already plenty of materials available on the Ubuntu website
to assist in getting involved.  If someone wants to get involved, then they
can go to the website, just like you and I have.

There are countless websites dedicated to FOSS and the why's, how's, etc.  I
doubt you had to have someone explain it to you in person.  I know I didn't.
 I did my research.  People that care will do theirs.

When most people buy something, they want to buy something that works.  They
don't necessarily want to know how.  I think the market that you are
targeting is entirely too narrow.  If you really want to expand the use
Ubuntu, you have to keep it simple.  To start the endless debate of how FOSS
can be better than commercial software, and how they can get involved with
it, you create a lot of unneeded confusion, and quite frankly, crap that
very few people care about.  The people that do care about it, like you and
me, will find ways to contribute.

The confusion isn't rooted in the explanations.  It's rooted in the consumer
mentality.  You work, make money, buy and get.  Nothing is free.  Even
Ubuntu, while it has no material costs, the cost of learning how to use it
is still a cost.  When you try to start introducing a lot of new vocabulary
and attempt to entirely change the way someone thinks, then you may as well
start talking a different language, because a lot of people don't care.
 They'll walk on by, and all the materials that you worked hard to create
and distribute will be ignored.

Now when you tell them that they can do most of the same things they would
on Windows easier and cheaper on Ubuntu.  Then they start listening.  They
don't care why.  They just want to see how it's done, and that's where we
come in.  We market the Ubuntu solutions!!!

I suppose our views differ.  Not every user is a contributor, and you
shouldn't expect them to be.  If you go into marketing (mass recognition)
our product (Ubuntu) expecting everyone that downloads to contribute time,
energy, or money for a free product, then you will fail.  Most users just
want something that works.  They don't want to spend their time making it
better.  There are other people that do that.  They don't want to waste
their money to pay people for a "free" product (on the home page of
Ubuntu.com it even states "How can it be free?").  If it's free, then they
shouldn't have to pay.

Maybe I'm imagining an much broader target market than you are.  I would
think that we are targeting at home consumers who primarily want a system
that they can check email, talk to their family, browse the internet, write
letters and stories, balance their bank account, etc.  Perhaps you are
looking more at a market of devs?

Bryan