John Rudd wrote:
> I'm on a Samsung Q1 Ultra with Intrepid Ubuntu-UMPC, use the touch
> screen a bit (especially with Ubuntu-UMPC's web browser).  What will I
> lose if I just do Jaunty's Netbook Remix and not
> JauntyDesktop+IntrepidMobile you mentioned?

    Possibly some integration between the intrepid settings and the
jaunty software that may result in unexpected or undesired behaviour.
If you use the Netbook Remix, you lose the Desktop (mostly: there's a
way to switch to "Classic Mode", but there's a bug about switching back).

> What's in the Intrepid Mobile package that I would want to add to
> Jaunty Desktop (or to Jaunty Netbook Remix, for that matter)?

    It just pulls some packages and some settings.  I don't think you'd
want to add this to Netbook Remix.  If you add it to Desktop (and it
hasn't bitrotted too much), the interface may resemble that for intrepid
UMPC.

> Is there just a package for the touch screen version of the browser,
> that is ready for Jaunty?

    If you're just looking for touchscreen support, then it doesn't
really matter which flavour you install.  midbrowser is available, but
I'm not sure how well it works in Jaunty.  You might also want to try
fennec, which seems to have gotten a fair number of good reviews.

> I haven't used (or really even SEEN) the various Netbook Remix front
> ends ... but 90% of what I do on my Q1U boils down to 4 programs
> (Terminal, one of the VNC clients, Browser, Firefox (keeping certain
> things separate from each other)), I don't imagine it'd be hard to get
> used to something that's just going to present me with a few options.
> Especially if I can just select it from the touch screen.

    You might try with a live USB session first, just to see if you like
it.  That's the safe way to determine if something would meet your needs.

--
Emmet HIKORY