On 08/30/2011 09:44 PM, Josh Gray wrote:
In my professional life I am a Database Administrator. I'd like to
dedicate some time (8hrs a week maybe) to contributing to Ubuntu. I have
had some small amount of development experience in c++ and Java mainly
from College (5 years ago), and the odd "for fun" style project where
I'd pick up ruby/python/java for a week or so, then promptly loose
motivation and forget it.

Suffice to say I am not going to be hacking device drivers or anything
cool like that, but I would like to find a way to contribute to Ubuntu
that uses my expertise in databases, and peaks my interest in programming.

If you have any advice on how I could help, or what I should be doing
I'd love to hear it.

Hi Josh, and first and foremost, a warm welcome to Ubuntu! :-)

If you want to make use of your expertise in databases, here are a few things you could do:

1) Go to answers.launchpad.net for your particular database, and look for questions that you could possibly answer.

2) You can also triage bugs for that database. ( https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage ) Given you have some programming expertise, you might also be able to fix some of the bugs?

3) Make or improve Ensemble recipes for setting up your database easy in Ubuntu.( https://ensemble.ubuntu.com/ )

Hopefully some of the above will fall into your taste :-)

// David