On Tue, 13 May 2008 15:42:12 -0700 "Jordan Mantha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Scott Kitterman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Tuesday 13 May 2008 18:11, Jordan Mantha wrote:
>
>> My feeling is that the best way to help make sure this kind of thing
>> doesn't happen is to have *one*, canonical place to track merges.
Launchpad
>> bugs seems to be the best way we have of doing that currently. Basically,
>> file a merge bug if you're going to be working on a merge and *all*
people
>> working on merges, including MOTU sponsors, should be looking *first* to
>> see if somebody has already filed a bug before working on it.
>
>Personally I'd find a file a bug first rule very demotivating.  One more
rule
>to convince me to spend my time on other things.
>

>Contributors already have to file a bug so I figured it'd be easiest for
them. A comment on MoM (when that works) would also suffice, IMO. The point
being, people need a place to check to see if somebody else is working on a
merge and people *especially* need to be checking.

>-Jordan
>
>P.S. The idea of me having to wait for somebody else's OK just to do a
merge, even though I'm a MOTU/Core Dev, is very demotivating.

Sure.  I can understand that.  There is no single solution that will
satisfy everyone.  I think checking the comment on DaD (and then MoM once
it's updated) is the best middle ground.

I'm perfectly fine with there being no strict rule about checking as long
as people are sensible/polite about it.  If it's a package I've touched 7
of the last 8 times then maybe I have a special interest in the package and
it would be polite to check.  OTOH if it's not a tricky merge and it's
blocking your work, I can see not waiting.  It would be impolite of me to
want to cause you inconvenience by insting you wait.

It's really just a matter of trying to work together in a complimentary and
collegial manner.

That said, back to the original problem, it is important to check for bugs
and whoever stepped on the contributor's merge shouldn't have done that.

Scott K