Cesare Tirabassi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> bug 214727
> (https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/%2Bsource/mplayer/%2Bbug/214727) has
> been raised on the subject.
> mplayer is a direct rdepend for many packages, and indirect for I guess many
> others.
> Your help on this would be appreciated, please check if there are missing
> packages that should be part of the change, or mark invalid those which
> should not be part of it (either because of license or dependencies reasons).

The Debian mplayer disables mencoder, an utility to transform media
streams in various formats.  In Ubuntu we are shipping marillats version
of mplayer, which is more or less unstripped upstream. That version does
include a full unstripped copy of ffmpeg including mpeg encoders. This
is the reason AFAIUI why we have mplayer in multiverse.

So in the end you are proposing to drop mencoder. The last time I raised
this issue I was told that users prefered to have mencoder in multiverse
to not having mencoder at all.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4