Hi,
I'm very interested in this topic and the one who started the bug-report :) My
ideas for this situation would be the following:

1.) mplayer without mencoder goes to universe and mencoder alone stays in
multiverse (there is already a mencoder stand-alone pgk in multiverse)
or
2.) mplayer without mencoder goes to universe and a second package called
mplayer-full (with mencoder ) goes to multiverse
or maybe ;)
3.) = 1.) + 2.) mplayer without mencoder goes to universe and mencoder stays in
multiverse + there's a mplayer-full package in multiverse

As I understand the subject mplayer by itself can go to universe, the problem
is just with mencoder. So it would be nice to offer this free software in
universe imo. There are very few good video players for linux. Without vlc and
mplayer there would be nothing. K there are things like totem but ... you know
what I mean ;) they all suck more or less compaired with mplayer or vlc (I hope
users of other video-players don't get mad because of this, it's just my
opinion but I think many ppl will share it).

So if there is a chance to get mplayer into universe it should be taken. Debian
already did so and so should Ubuntu in my opinion. This doesn't mean that ppl
who want the multiverse packages shouldn't get them but for the other ppl who
don't want multiverse packages why not offer an alternative?

Do you see any problems with this solution I don't see?

kindly regards
                Adna rim