On 2008-05-31 22:22:18 +0200, Adna rim wrote:
> I'm very interested in this topic and the one who started the
> bug-report :) My ideas for this situation would be the following:
>
> 1.) mplayer without mencoder goes to universe and mencoder alone stays
> in multiverse (there is already a mencoder stand-alone pgk in
> multiverse)
> or
> 2.) mplayer without mencoder goes to universe and a second package
> called mplayer-full (with mencoder ) goes to multiverse
[...]
> Do you see any problems with this solution I don't see?

As mplayer and mencoder are build from the same source package, it's not
really easy to put them into different components (universe/multiverse).

I'm not sure if it's allow that a source package from multiverse can
built a package for universe, but my guess would be that it's not
allowed.

Moving the source package to universe and put mencoder into multiverse
isn't probably possible either: I didn't check if mplayer has some
build-depends from multiverse (which would prevent putting mplayer
source into universe) or if it's possible to put the source into
universe at all (due to the patents as afaik that's a reason why it's in
multiverse).

An option would be to have a source package for mplayer without the
problematic parts which could go into universe and a source package for
mencoder which goes to multiverse. But this solution has the
disadvantage that we would have the same source (or at least great parts
of it) twice in the archive, which is a maintainance nightmare (also for
security updates).

Michael