Hi,

>> I volunteer to draft a new GettingStarted page, and I will collect
>> with
>> gratitude any contributions from this list or otherwise.
>
> Excellent.
> I'm happy to review, improve and discuss. The only thing I'd like
> MOTU/GettingStarted to be is
> - a concise landing page
> - that links to all the important pages (so we have one good answer
> and
> the new contributor one page to bookmark)
> - and gets people a sense of direction

I have now produced a draft page at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GettingStartedDraft
  , incorporating all ideas contributed to me (the number is zero ;-)).

The main idea is to give a gentle introduction suited for the people
we meet on the mailing lists or IRC asking "Hi, I'm interested in
Ubuntu, how can I help out?".

The current introduction aims at steering people directly towards a
MOTU career, but I have adopted a completely different strategy in the
draft document. With this approach newcomers are taught:

* Launchpad
* Bug work and triaging
* The workflow of packages in Ubuntu
* How Ubuntu development is organized in the various teams
* The Ubuntu release model (not yet written)

The document includes practical exercises that gets people started
with various tasks that most of us use every day. People are invited
to join mailing lists and IRC, show up and ask questions, examine
various Launchpad pages etc.

It is always difficult to arrive at the right level of a training
document. However, even the most experienced developer does not
(necessarily) know how Ubuntu's bug flow works, and will benefit from
an introduction.

The document is a draft, with a lot of shortcomings and lacking
features, but it does outline an alternative educational approach that
I think could be useful and productive. Please feel free to add and/or
correct the Wiki document, so we as quickly as possible can start a
systematic and fruitful education of new Ubuntu enthusiasts with a
desire to help out!

> Agreed, though I'm not sure this should be in the MOTU namespace -
> what
> do you think?

Yes. I think the MOTU namespace should only contain material that is
strictly relevant to the MOTU team. We need a "howto become MOTU"
page; the current MOTU/GettingStarted perhaps needs some revision
based on the more granular training we now have with the new  Ubuntu
Contributor team.

Cheers,
Morten

--