Hello guys,

Today I thought i'd install LyX to test it out on Precise, but I was
shocked with its download size. I didn't install!!!

Here's what I asked in the LyX mailing list:

    I've been testing Ubuntu12.04 lately & just now I
    was thinking of using LyX on it. TO my big surprise the LyX requires a
    large download of ~450 MB+. I am shocked!!! IS that the true size? If
    not mistaken I recall that on 10.04 it required ~ 25MB. Am I mistaken?
    Is there something wrong?

And  here's two replies I got:

    1) The download from Ubuntu was probably a debug build. These are much
    larger than the release build. You might want to contact the Ubuntu
    project and let them know that the build is much larger than expected.

    Another idea is that they may have changed the LaTeX dependencies. If
    so, it might be downloading a lot of extra TeX packages that aren't needed.

    Regardless, I would definitely get in touch with the Ubuntu project. To
    the best of my knowledge, they don't subscribe to this list, and it's
    something that they will want to hear about.

    2) I am also suspecting that your total download size contains a bunch of
    LaTeX dependencies

It is worth noting that LyX 2.0.3 that is currently installed on my
Lucid (by ppa) has a total size of 10.5MB, while that in Precise's
Software Center is about 450MB (download) & 700MB+ (install).

So I thought I'd get your thoughts on this & on how to proceed! Who &
how (launchpad?) should be notified about this?

thanks

--
Sincerely Yours,
-Merhebi, Bob