Indeed, we took work items at our last UDS to focus a bit more on the server testcases and try and bring more people into testing server. Perhaps this would be an excellent opportunity for you to work towards improving and testing ubuntu server. Take a look on iso.qa.ubuntu.com at the server testcases for say a ubuntu amd64 iso to get a feel for what's out there. Then help fix up, contribute new, or improve the testcases by submitting changes to the ubuntu-manual-tests project on launchpad. You don't have to go through the difficulties of creating a new team to do this, rather rally the support that already exists and have at it.

Nicholas