On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 09:05:40PM +0200, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> On 27/05/14 16:56, C de-Avillez wrote:
> >A technical opinion on a technical issue will rule out every other
> >opinion until proved wrong.
>
> Summarizing: for confirming this bug, you need to provide a series
> of steps that will break GRUB consistently.
>
> Till then the appropriate status for the report is "opinion".

I'm not sure that is how I would have summarized Carlos's email.

One particular take away from this issue is that not every symptom of a
problem, e.g. "error: symbol 'grub_term_highlight_color' not found", is
due to the same reason. Because of this I personally try to modify bug
titles such that they are more specific as I learn more information
about why the particular reporter had the problem. So if I see an
ubuntu-release-upgrader bug titled "Can't upgrade to 14.04", I will
work on changing the title so it describes the particular reporter's
issue. Hopefully, this prevents multiple people who can't upgrade from
all commenting on the same bug report and also thinking the same fix
will work for them.

Additionally, another bit of advice is that although it is more work
(especially if you can't use ubuntu-bug) it is best to open a bug report
for your specific issue rather than assuming that another bug is exactly
the same as yours. However, you might add a comment to a bug similar to
yours saying "I think I am experiencing the same issue in bug 12345".

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master