On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 9:13 PM, php fan <php4...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > And if it is not, then it would get marked "Won't Fix" when
> > someone goes through and does post-EOL-release cleanup.
>
> It sounds like that would be the right thing to do. If it's not going to be
> fixed, let's at least avoid people the frustration, confusion, and possible
> waste of time caused by having bullshit information on Launchpad.
>
> Note also that, given that this bug was claimed to be fixed for Wily and it
> isn't, I am quite skeptic that it's really fixed in Trusty too. If I were a
> member of a QA team, I would test it on Trusty. There's a simple,
> copy-pastable command to run to see whether or not the bug is fixed. I
> would test it myself if I had any box with Trusty.

Looks like this was just an oversight, and should make it into Wily before
EOL.  Good.

> > and prepare your environments
> > for upgrading to Xenial when Wily dies on the 28th.
>
> Speaking of "preparing my environments" (that's funny btw: you shouldn't be
> supposed to have to "prepare" anything at all for an upgrade), so is there
> some "preparation" I can do to make sure that I don't brick my computer
> with the upgrade as per issue 1551623? Or at least, some check I can do to
> know whether my system is affected, so that I don't upgrade in that case?
> (I'd rather have a "dead" Wily, dead as in "past the EOL", than a dead
> system, dead as in "it doesn't boot").

Not sure that's really even a bug anymore.  But since it seemed to worry
you, I tried a fresh Wily desktop install, fully updated and upgraded to
Xenial.

Not a problem for me, I was not able to recreate this bug:
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/18862815/

I tried it twice and both times, I was able to successfully upgrade from
Wily to Xenial with no failed packages.