On 05/13/2017 03:08 AM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> On 2017-05-13 02:17, C de-Avillez wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 May 2017 11:57:33 +0200 Alberto Salvia Novella
>> <es204904...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And the second question is "would the proposed draft allow most
>>> people to report bugs?"
>>
>> Yes, it will. And therein lies the danger. It is NOT easy to write
>> an usable bug report. Why should it be easy to write a bad one?
>
> You made some points well worth considering (also in the part of your
> message which I didn't quote). Thanks, C!

When I first started contributing to Ubuntu, I joined the Bug Squad to
help turn these poor bug reports into something useful for the
developers. The Bug Squad wiki was full of useful advice on how to get
the bug reports into a good state, including "standard replies" that
thank and encourage the submitter to write better reports in the future.
If it wasn't a bug, the report is marked "invalid", if it was a
question, the report gets converted to a question on Launchpad.

In Debian, it is very easy to report bugs (at least you don't need an
account on a webserver), and there is no Bug Squad Team to help the
maintainers triage the bugs. I have seen many bug reports in Debian
where the submitter knows that the bug should be reported upstream, but
they ask the maintainer to do it because they do not want to register an
account on the upstream bug tracking system. If the maintainer is busy,
it may take a long time for the bug to get reported upstream.

So yes, there is a danger that lots of bad reports create more work, but
I would rather that than continuing to ship potentially buggy software
out to our users.

I am in the "get the bugs reported" and "provide good advice/tools to
try and help the user do a good report" camp.

Cheers,

Ross