Hi Brett, at the company where I work we use a number of 3Ware RAID cards in
our servers running Ubuntu. They have worked flawlessly, without the need to
install additional kernel modules. The cards run basically all the sata
devices, and are set up before Ubuntu is booted or installed (for 3ware it
seems to be alt-3 to enter their setup menu after your computer's bios is
done with it's job).

Additionally, there are source files available with the discs should you
feel the need to build a kernel module.