On 04/28/2010 02:25 PM, Adam Sommer wrote:
> Thanks Andreas for creating openldap-dit.  For the last couple of days
> I've been testing it, and after a few updates was able to get it to work
> on Lucid.  As you mentioned there are a lot of ways to create a

Cool!

I think the goal should be to get a starting point that helps newbies to
at least *see* something when they point an ldap client to the server,
and also allow more seasoned admins to build upon that tree.

For me, that means:
- - we need a database configured (indexes, checkpoints, caches,
DB_CONFIG, etc)
- - we need a tree root
- - seems like ou=People and ou=Group are pretty common and we should also
have them at least
- - basic ACLs to protect content that is not even there yet (like
userPassword, krb5key, samba hashes, etc)
- - basic ACLs to allow for group-delegated based administration
- - an admin group, with a member for whom we have a password. This member
is what the user should use. This concept of administration group
resonates quite nicely with the default ubuntu sudo setup.

It's because of this group based administration that I chose RFC2307bis,
because it allows me to use the refint overlay and automatically update
the group memberships if the user is removed from the tree, or has
his/her name changed, etc.

We can build upon that. A sudo-ldap package, for example, could detect
that this tree is in place and offer to:
- - add the sudo schema (assuming it was not added by the openldap-dit
base package)
- - create ou=sudoers and add the group based administration acls (if not
part of the default dit)
- - perhaps even migrate an existing /etc/sudoers to ldap if so desired
(there are scripts for that)

The above can all be done dynamically at postinst, because we have
cn=config, if the package is installed on the same machine as the ldap
server. If not, then it would need ldap credentials to make these
changes over the network, but even so it could work.

In karmic, openldap-dit triggers a bug in slapd which starts consuming
100% cpu and hangs. I filed a LP bug with a patch, and it was applied to
lucid, but not to the karmic package yet (#485026). It's one of the
problems (or risks, should I say) of using these many overlays.
Sometimes a specific combination of them triggers a bug, like that case.

- --
Andreas Hasenack
andr...@canonical.com