On Wednesday, March 30, 2011 08:33:34 PM Douglas Stanley wrote:
> But then again, why not keep MySQL in main AND choose a newer fork to also
> include?

Since Ubuntu was started, there has been a design goal to try and pick one
package in a catagory and support it well in Main and leave the others in
Universe for support as it's available.  That goal isn't always achieved
(e.g.Postfix and Exim in Main even though Postfix is the "standard" MTA for
Ubuntu).  I think we would only have more than one MySQL in Main if it was
really unavoidable.  The decision to focus support around a subset of the
archive is one of the design choices that distinguishes Ubuntu from Debian.

Scott K