And again, even in times of dawning kernel 3.0, I'm harping the same old theme: Most musician's complaints about poor performance, bad latencies and unacceptable xrun/buffersize ratio with consequence of yearning for better realtime kernel functionality are result of automatic cpu frequency scheduling i.e. system hiccups by scaling the cpu frequency on demand. My suggestion for a future 1. range ubuntustudio feature is a small userfriendly gui for this with setting 'performance' by default. For an avarage audiophile ubuntu newbie it takes some weeks until she found out how to customize cpu frequency with panel apps or alternative stuff in new releases, and before this epiphany happens, ubuntustudio might be removed from the harddisk for reason of insufficiency. I would bet on it. I'd do it myself if I had the coding skills.
best regards
Gerhard