here is the next meeting agenda if one of you would like to add this issue
there and come and get the wheels turning
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Meetings/2011July3

i suppose the first logical question is, *can* we physically address the CPU
scaling issue, and it looks like its something that can be implemented with
a script. the other reason why maybe this cant/shouldn't be done could be
something to do with security or something else i am unaware of. would one
of you like to check on this??

the next question is *should* we do this. if the proposal is to set CPU
governor to performance out of the box, i disagree. we cant assume that most
folks using ubuntustudio are using it for audio production, nor can we
assume most folks using ubuntustudio for audio production are using JACK.
this does not mean im right, and that you cant push for having the CPU
governor set to performance out of the box. i think a nice compromise would
be a popup that asks the question (like gerhard suggested). this would need
to be something simple, and something that does *not* look like there is a
problem with the machine. my only thoughts on that are, if im a new
ubuntustudio user, and a popup comes up talking about a CPU governor, am i
going to know what that means? am i going to think something is wrong or
broken?

regardless of where this idea actually goes, i believe education is the key.
is there already a wiki page about CPU scaling we can link to officially?
would one of you be into looking around for a wiki page, and making sure
proper documentation is available?

this is one of those issues that quite literally will *not* be looked at for
a long time (i would guess the 12.10 cycle) if one of you guys do not get
proactive about it. let me know if i can be any help.

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Gerhard Lang <lang.gerh...@gmail.com>wrote:

> No doubt, this helps. But what is with noob's frustration until they will
> have found this out?
> At my last ubuntustudio-install  a terminal popped up and  forced me to set
> fitting security limits. There should be something like this for cpu
> frequency too.
>
> Am 18.06.2011 13:06, schrieb Erik Rasmussen:
>
>> Perhaps a help...
>> http://maketecheasier.com/how-**to-control-your-cpu-frequency-**
>> in-ubuntu/2009/04/10<http://maketecheasier.com/how-to-control-your-cpu-frequency-in-ubuntu/2009/04/10>
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 19:11, Gerhard Lang <lang.gerh...@gmail.com<mailto:
>> lang.gerh...@gmail.com**>> wrote:
>>
>>    And again, even in times of dawning kernel 3.0, I'm harping the
>>    same old theme: Most musician's complaints about poor performance,
>>    bad latencies and unacceptable xrun/buffersize ratio with
>>    consequence of yearning for better realtime kernel functionality
>>     are result of automatic cpu frequency scheduling i.e. system
>>    hiccups by scaling the cpu frequency on demand. My suggestion for
>>    a future 1. range ubuntustudio  feature is a small userfriendly
>>    gui for this with setting 'performance' by default. For an avarage
>>    audiophile ubuntu newbie it takes some weeks until she found out
>>    how to customize cpu frequency  with panel apps or alternative
>>    stuff in new releases, and before this epiphany happens,
>>    ubuntustudio might be removed from the harddisk for reason of
>>    insufficiency. I would bet on it. I'd do it myself if I had the
>>    coding skills.
>>    best regards
>>    Gerhard
>>
>>    --     Ubuntu-Studio-devel mailing list