Like many, I don't let "upstream" tell me how to run my computers. That's the
whole POINT to free sofware. Upstream does something you don't like,do
something else. Unity doesn't suit my needs, for my desktops I first went to
gnome-shell with the frippery extensions, then to Cinnamon which has
effectively replaced them and doesn't break on updates. For my netbook I
switched over to Icewm to keep power consumption down and performance up. Both
of these reasons are why US switched to XFCE, which I've tested but had some
theming issues with using my "ubuntustudio-legacy" theme that looks like a
slightly modded version of what US looked like in Hardy Heron.

As for "commercial" I just strip out all support for paid software
(software-center, etc), use ffmpeg/avconv instead of fluendo, and since I do
have Unity installed for testing I keep scopes and the shopping lens OUT of it,
block most ad/tracking servers, etc. I can use my video/audio editing machines
as toys easily enough by firing up FOSS games (on open ATI drivers), but I keep
shopping and tracking software OUT.

Are you saying the core Linux kernel is developing issues? A kernel can support
features, but is so far removed from the DE that I don't see the kernel
mandating an environment. Even a total Wayland switchover would only do this if
Xorg support was removed from the kernel, and would only be a real problem if
Xwayland was to use more resources that X11 with a compositing window manager.
I suspect the reverse would be true.

Seems to me such issues would be limited to something like a dependancy on
binary blobs that BSD etc managed to work without. I was almost thinking the
opposite, that Nvidia would throw in the towel on getting the symbol exports
for their "optimus" support, and port their binary blob, with Optimus support
included, to a permissively-licensed BSD kernel and ship that whole package as
a drop-in replacement for owners of those laptops. In other words, the
permissively-licensed BSD kernels are easier, not harder, for a commericial
outfit not dedicated to FOSS to work with.

If Linux ever includes keyloggers or digital rights enforcement software, the
open-source nature of the project means that would be detected almost
instantly. That should be enough to make sure that malicious software never
gets into the kernel except as a patch from a distro. You might think about
using kernels directly from upstream if distro versions ever become untrusted,
though all patches are applied as source and can be examined.