On Wed, 2012-12-19 at 16:05 -0500, lukefro...@hushmail.com wrote:
> Like many, I don't let "upstream" tell me how to run my computers.
> That's the whole POINT to free sofware. Upstream does something you
> don't like,do something else.

That's impossible for me. I replaced GNOME with Xfce and I like Xfce,
but now Evolution doesn't work any more. It takes a long time to open an
email, spamfilters completely don't work etc.. It might be possible to
convert evolutions unique maildir to a mail format, another mailer night
be able to handle, but than I still need to learn, how to use another
mailer and it might be that this new mailer can't share the same mail
directory for different installs with different versions of the MUA,
when not using IMAP. Note that some lists only tolerate replies to the
list only, don't tolerate broken threads, regarding to the ID etc., so
the MUA has exactly to do what I want it to do.

For VBox it's the same, I want to be able to share my VDIs, so it's not
an option to set up networking without NAT, just because the packages
for Ubuntu are borked. But even if I wouldn't share the VDs, I don't
want to set p networking for a new install, I simpy want to use my old
set up with a new install.

I can write an endless list of stuff that does cause unneeded issues and
that can't be solved.

>  Unity doesn't suit my needs, for my desktops I first went to
> gnome-shell with the frippery extensions, then to Cinnamon which has
> effectively replaced them and doesn't break on updates. For my netbook
> I switched over to Icewm to keep power consumption down and
> performance up. Both of these reasons are why US switched to XFCE,
> which I've tested but had some theming issues with using my
> "ubuntustudio-legacy" theme that looks like a slightly modded version
> of what US looked like in Hardy Heron.
>
> As for "commercial" I just strip out all support for paid software
> (software-center, etc), use ffmpeg/avconv instead of fluendo, and
> since I do have Unity installed for testing I keep scopes and the
> shopping lens OUT of it, block most ad/tracking servers, etc. I can
> use my video/audio editing machines as toys easily enough by firing up
> FOSS games (on open ATI drivers), but I keep shopping and tracking
> software OUT.

That's what I do too.

> Are you saying the core Linux kernel is developing issues?

No, a misunderstanding. For FreeBSD some things seem to be still more
KISS. I just wanted to0 point out, that Debian has got a FreeBSD port.

> A kernel can support features, but is so far removed from the DE that
> I don't see the kernel mandating an environment. Even a total Wayland
> switchover would only do this if Xorg support was removed from the
> kernel, and would only be a real problem if Xwayland was to use more
> resources that X11 with a compositing window manager. I suspect the
> reverse would be true.
>
> Seems to me such issues would be limited to something like a
> dependancy on binary blobs that BSD etc managed to work without. I was
> almost thinking the opposite, that Nvidia would throw in the towel on
> getting the symbol exports for their "optimus" support, and port their
> binary blob, with Optimus support included, to a permissively-licensed
> BSD kernel and ship that whole package as a drop-in replacement for
> owners of those laptops. In other words, the permissively-licensed BSD
> kernels are easier, not harder, for a commericial outfit not dedicated
> to FOSS to work with.
>
> If Linux ever includes keyloggers or digital rights enforcement
> software, the open-source nature of the project means that would be
> detected almost instantly. That should be enough to make sure that
> malicious software never gets into the kernel except as a patch from a
> distro. You might think about using kernels directly from upstream if
> distro versions ever become untrusted, though all patches are applied
> as source and can be examined.

Again, a misunderstanding, with the FreeBSD kernel Debian might be able,
to completely switch away from Linux, if there ever should be the need
to do it.

I always build the kernels myself, since the kernel I need seldom is
provided. I need a kernel-rt and even if there's a kernel-rt in a
repository, it sill could be, that the configuration is not to my needs.
Btw. I can't remember that rtirq from the Ubuntu repositories, ever fit
to the kernels provided by the same repositories. Fortunately all those
real-time optimizations don't have that much impact, as long as at least
some of the optimization does work.

I switch distros as often as needed. I'm not fixed to a distro, but
upstream has got that much impact, that there aren't big differences
between distros. But even the little differences sometimes are
important.

Because people tend to stay by one distro with the attitude "the disto I
use is the best, distro X and Y are crap", it's confirmation for the
maintainers that everything is ok, even if important things get out of
control.

You can't imagine how often people simply write that Ubuntu is crap on
Debian user mailing list and then they simply argue with old hype. A
mail later they are troubleshooting their Debian, because something
doesn't work, that would work if they would use Ubuntu. E.g. it's not
seldom that Debian ships with outdated ALSA packages of different
versions. ALSA packages for Ubuntu usually are the same version and they
usually are up to date.

2006 distro X perhaps was the best distro on most common hardware for
usage A, B and C. Today distro Y might be much better, on seldom used
hardware, for usage D, E and F.

I bet there are trillions of YouTube videos that do show how fast
startup is, when using upstart or systemd. There for sure is no video
that does show how much time gets lost, if you use your computer and
need to fix issues caused by transitions from init to another startup.
But that does exactly show what people do with their computers, they
don't make music, they don't paint pictures, they don't maintain
servers, they turn their computers off and on.

Who does need a menu bar? Only a user who does use the software ;), so
let's drop menu bars, to shut down and start up you don't need a menu
bar. More and more apps come without menu bars.

Who does need a clear view to the canvas? Only a user who is working on
a graphic, if the canvas isn't really used, it's nice to have flashy
windows, that cover half of the canvas. Just one of the countless issue
of the new versions of GIMP.

Now I'll continue my FreeBSD install. BSD for the install already ships
with issues that remind me of Linux. They've got a new installer. With
this installer partitioning already fails on my machine, so I had to
install an outdated release and I now I have to do a release upgrade.
The partitioning can't be simply done with Linux's GParted.

Forgivable if such bugs appear from time to time.

Regards,
Ralf