On Wed, December 19, 2012 6:54 pm, Emmet Hikory wrote:

> as having reduced opportunities for collaboration with other flavours (for
> exampe, it's fairly nice to just be able to ask the Xubuntu team if we
> have
> an uncertainty about anything XFCE, rather than needing to track it down
> ourselves).

Yes it is much easy to suggest people can ask desktop questions in
#xubuntu rather saying except for ....

>     Bringing the subject back to original topic, I was looking at Nemo
> about a week ago, and it looks like it won't get into Debian within the
> timeframe for this release.  We could certainly include it directly in
> Ubuntu (although this may be a bit of work), but if we do so, we'd also
> want to update the versions of cinnamon, muffin, etc. we have in the
> archives, for which best practice would involve working with the current
> Debian mantainers to ensure we can share packaging and revert to
> inheritance
> for raring+1.  Depending on the future direction of Nemo (intending to
> more
> closely integrate with cinnamon), this may or may not be possible as a
> long
> term choice, unless we're planning to also adopt cinnamon: more discussion
> with upstream may be useful to determine whether this makes sense, or if
> we might do better to direct our efforts towards another file manager or
> search provider.

Personally, I think we might do well use thunar and catfish in line with
xubuntu. xfce has a team that seems to me to be working hard to keep
improving their DE. In general there are no surprises for the new user.
The problems thunar has had in 12.04 and 12.10 have been fixed. I have not
found any problems using thunar as my daily file manager on 13.04 test
installs.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net