Hi,

this is my first post to the mailing list. So bare with me for a short
introduction. When I discovered Ubuntu Studio some years ago I only had
access to a very old pc and a quite old laptop. However I was able to
record some songs on it, but mixing was a nightmare since the computers
were too old. Then I upgraded to a Sony Vaio after much research about Vaio
and Ubuntu. However, there were issues between jack, my audio card and how
the Sony Vaio use USB. The result was that I could only record in 16 bit,
44.1 kHz. Which was worse than I had before on my old computers, 24 bit and
48 kHz.. So I reverted to Windows for my audio recordings and tried out
every new release of Ubuntu Studio until finally everything just worked in
12.04. At last, I could actually do all my recordings, mixing and mastering
in US. But by then I was about to have my first child and the time for
recording somehow disappeared...

> Anyway: any person, that uses Win or Mac for that that tries US and is
> encountering this problem will switch back and maybe consider using
> Linux next year or never....

Which was just what I did. I was persistent to try out every new release
until my equipment finally worked. By now it's outdated, oh well, but
that's another issue.

> Do you have a statistic on how many people out there use US for
> music-production?

This would be interesting. From reading the Ubuntu Forums there seem to be
at least some using it in their professional studios. I do music
recordings, but the degree of "professionalism" could be argued. On the
other hand, with the DIY revolution in the music industry many could be
labelled professional.

> First of all, Ubuntu Studio is not a pro audio distribution. It's for
> all multimedia content creation.

I have always considered US as a pro audio distribution, why not? Real
time/low latency kernel and all... I see now that site actually states
"multimedia" in several places. But if I wouldn't use US for pro audio,
what should I use instead? Back to Windows or Mac? Further, what defines
"pro audio"? Probably in the music industry ProTools on Mac and so on will
continue to be leading, but for a home studio or in the early stages studio
I think Ubuntu Studio could be a choice to consider. And more with the
right marketing and support. Mind you, being an audio engineer and musician
I'm mostly thinking about the audio parts of the distribution. (Though I
happily use Gimp and Kdenlive).

> Getting audio working for audio production, with some bloated desktop
> environments is not very useful.

I couldn't agree more. I like when my desktop looks nice but when I'm about
to record, cut a video or handle large graphics my main concern is
performance. I was quite happy when US changed to Xfce. I think it's the
right way to go. I actually changed my other workstations to Xfce as well
after that.
If you want Unity or other you can always use standard Ubuntu and add the
audio, video and/or graphic tools you need. Make Ubuntu Studio a bit
special for the creative people.

But:

> We don't know how long into the future the xfce platform will best suit
our needs (very little warning was given during the
> gnome/unity move that prompted our switch to xfce in the first place),
and the lack of DE-specific code the easier it will be for those
> of us who love a different DE to just switch.

Which also makes sense.

> Please remember
> that the team is only a handful of people, and constructive help in most
> cases is actually doing things yourself.
>
> I'm currently trying to get more people involved, and we have gotten
> some responses. Many people come by, but getting really dedicated people
> doesn't happen every day, and most people simply don't have the time for
> it.

Not being able to code I don't know how to contribute even though I really
would like to? Other than participating in the mailing list that is.

Kind regards
Jimmy