Kdenlive is a nonlinear video editor. I use it routinely for making news
videos. Although
I only publish the 720p versions over Liveleak, the archived 1080p versions are
of good
quality.  I've never used any of the nonfree editors (lightworks included), so
I can't
compare it to them. Lightworks requires onlne activation, a line I never cross.