Am 23.05.2013 02:21, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> The only NLE software I know, that might work on "better Linux home
> machines" and could do "valid" NLE, might be this
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightworks it's said that it was used for
> the NLE of famous films.
>
> But where can we download the beta Linux version?

Just register as a beta tester and subscribe some NDA and get your
installer:

http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=44717&Itemid=81

> The Internet claims that the film "Avatar" was edited with Avid Media
> Composer. I can't find a Linux version, but you can start using it home
> machines based on Windows and Apple.
>
> I didn't watch the video and I don't know what was used for NLE to do
> the Avatar film editing, but perhaps it was Avid:
>
> "Landau discusses the creative process behind the highest grossing film
> in history and the numerous ways Avid film and video editing software
> workflow facilitated 3D production."
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_RhRtP8-nI
>
> I can't verify if your claim or the information I found using Google on
> the quick are right or wrong. What is your source of information about
> video editing Hartmut?

A short googling spawned for me:

http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/dcp/news/linux-hollywood/44656

http://www.linuxmovies.org/2011/06/26/linux-movies-hollywood-loves-linux/

You may have some DVDs that include making of extras: check them out,
see Linux run and the like on the Machines of Pixar, ILM and WetaWorkshop

And yes indeed: they do not use KDEnlive or Cinelerra, they use Maya and
more often they use their own inhouse software that is not being sold
but kept confidential.

And of course they use bloated desktops.

Is there anything but the quite abstract word "valid" you could offer us
to describe, what "your" NLVE software separates from any MELT-based
Software, that offers exactly that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-linear_editing_system

Maybe you did not read this paragraph in that:
Quote Wikipedia:
Since 2000, many personal computers include basic non-linear video
editing software free of charge. This is the case of Apple iMovie for
the Macintosh platform, various open source programs like Kdenlive and
PiTiVi for the Linux platform, and Windows Movie Maker for the Windows
platform. This phenomenon has brought low-cost non-linear editing to
consumers.

best regards

HZN