Programming NLVE is very time consuming, IOW expensive, so it's hard to
do for free. There is NLVE software for Windows and OsX machines that
already can be used with averaged home PCs.

"Valid" for home usage does mean to be able to edit a video with a
professional work flow, without crashing all the times etc. pp..

Btw. the myths that Blender is everything that's needed to make 3D
animations is also nonsense. In addition not only a NLVE is missing, but
also some other options, e.g. automatically lip sync (at least it was
missing, I don't know if they have included it yet).

AFAIK Blender can be and is used for professional and good home videos,
but it's just one production tool of many production tools.

Unlikely that I'll have that kind of films you're talking about. If I
watch films made in the USA, than more or less only films from people
like the Coen brothers, Jim Jarmusch etc. and I usually don't own those
films on DVDs or any other media. But again, first of all it's a myth
that many films were produced using Linux only and second, I'm talking
about software that, with certain qualifications, can be used at home,
at least with "better" home PCs.

FWIW I never was in a professional studio using Linux only for audio,
there might be a few studios, but it's still very unusual. That reminds
me that I need to check my RME card on Linux again, since I got some
hints, what I was doing wrong, when I tried to start jackd with sample
rates > 48 KHZ. It's impossible to make this mistake on Windows ;).

I'm sensible for the work flow, since I was an audio/video engineer in
the analog and early computer area, when the machines were made to fit
to the engineers work flow, nowadays a lot of computer people who claim
to know professional work, don't have an idea what it really does mean.
Often the computer doesn't fit to our needs, we need to fit to the
computer's needs.

For example, on Jack-devel somebody claims that it's a shame that
Android can't be used for pro-audio, but iOS gear can be used to do it.
He only was thinking about the software, but for professional audio work
it's unlikely that a device as an iPad would be used, because you can't
replace the batteries and because the switches are made to already fail
for consumer usage.

There's a sane way for home recording and making videos at home.
There's a sane way for professional recording and making videos.

I like to use Linux only at home and I never ever will work as a
professional audio and video engineer again. I don't experience Linux as
usable for professional work, but it doesn't matter for me. For me
claims that Linux is professional, is the more out of reason for people
who prefer averaged Hollywood movies, averaged chart music. For the kind
of art I like to do, at least for music, I can use Linux, but for people
who want to do this mainstream stuff, all the tools are missing. We for
example don't have auto-tune for Linux.

Back to the topic ;). I guess KDE 4 can be used to provide a sane work
flow for audio production, but Unity and GNOME 3 don't provide a common
work flow for this task. Xfce, LXDE, KDE = sane. Unity, e17 and GNOME 3
= insane.

However, the work flow to make a home video in a Roland Emmerich style,
does differ to making a home video in a Jim Jarmusch style. The same for
audio, e.g. The Black Eyed Peas differ a lot to Motor City Hardrock from
the 70s.