On Thu, May 23, 2013, at 08:48 PM, Mike Holstein wrote:
> On May 23, 2013 2:35 PM, <lukefro...@hushmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Surely there are more people who want to make US work with any
> > particular desktop
>
> I have always just used the applications with whatever DE I have
> wanted...
> Ubuntu studio uses xfce. That is what we mostly test for. There is
> nothing
> we do that should prevent the packages from working with whatever to want
> to use. I'll try and look more closely at this thread, but, what is the
> issue? It should be as simple as installing the applications you want to
> use. Think of it this way... Install what you want.. Kubuntu, for
> example..
> It Ubuntu and add KDE... Install what specific apps you want. Then, you
> are
> not using Ubuntu studio... You are using the audio/video applications you
> want with the DE you want. You can take advantage of the Ubuntu/Ubuntu
> studio packages with whatever you want. You are welcome and encouraged to
> do so... But, you are not running Ubuntu studio at that point. Still, it
> should be as easy as installing what you want and configuring... What are
> the specific issues that are preventing that? Cheers!

Recently, we have begun work on looking at if we can add more desktop
metas to our set of installable meta packages.
Nothing decided yet, and nothing ready to even try out so far. The Gnome
desktop seems not usable at this stage in saucy. KDE is planned. Both
LXDE and Unity have been talked about.
The idea is that if we do offer more than one choice, XFCE will be the
default, but the user can choose another DE during installation.

Each DE needs a developer. So, if no one is interested in doing a Unity
variant, for instance, then there won't be one. Right now, we have
people working at enabling Gnome3 and KDE.