On Thu, May 23, 2013, at 08:35 PM, lukefro...@hushmail.com wrote:
> Surely there are more people who want to make US work with any
> particular desktop than there are desktops!  I did the Cinnamon work
> myself
> for the legacy desktop, simply so I could use it Have all the necessary
> files to
> make it work. Only hassle is that the Cinnamon menus for some reason
> ignore the
> UbuntuStudio A/V submenus, instead putting all the A/V apps into "sound
> and video"
> no matter what you do in the menu editor. The submenus show up in the
> menu editor,
> so my guess it its just a Cinnamon bug that will eventually be taken care
> of.
>
> Anyone else wants to use Cinnamon in UbuntuStudio, I have what you need
> at least for the legacy themes, can send out tar.gz files.
>
> I recommend it only for relatively powerful machines with modern graphics
> cards
> and  multicore processors. All this stuff works with MATE, too, been
> there, tested that.
> It will run on slower machines, but Cinnamon get sluggish, especially in
> the menu, on
> Pentium 4 or Intel Atom. This is inherited from the upstream gnome-shell
> it seems.

If you like, you can work at adding a Cinnamon based meta for Ubuntu
Studio.
It's not that big of a deal really, once you learn what you need to
know. You'll need a launchpad account, and a development release install
to do the coding. Testing can be done either on a separate testing
partition, or on a Virtual Machine. Both could be virtual, if you like.
Here's something I wrote about getting started
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/SetupDeveloperEnvironment