On Mon, May 19, 2014, at 02:43 PM, Jimmy Sjölund wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 11:20 AM, Kaj Ailomaa <zeque...@mousike.me>
> wrote:
>
> > # Supporting multiple Desktop Environments
> >
> > There has long been talk about us possibly supporting multiple desktop
> > environments. Doing so, we would use existing DE metas, and just add our
> > own session, menu, and artwork. The desktop environments in question
> > would be unity, gnome, kde, xfce and lxde.
> >
> > There are two ways we can do this:
> >  * base our desktop environments on flavor DE metas such as
> >  ubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop, etc,
> >  * or we base on the vanilla DE metas, such as xfce4 (not sure how that
> >  works with unity though)
> >
> > So, let's discuss the pros and cons with selecting one over the other.
> > Perhaps choice one is better for some DEs, and choice two better for
> > others?
> >

> I think one of the advantages for us to use for instance xubuntu-desktop
> is
> that the possibilities for support is much greater. If it's a vanilla
> Xubuntu desktop you would have all the xubuntu community to help out with
> DE related questions.
>
> Sure, with a plain Xfce DE we could say that we would have all the
> xfce-community to help out with support but I think it's easier to
> provide
> closer support within the *buntu sphere.
>
> /Jimmy

Good point. Quite a significant one, i would say.

In that case we would offer the user choices between other DE based
flavors, and not just DE environments. So, that would equal to:

Ubuntu Studio
Xubuntu Studio
Kubuntu Studio
Lubuntu Studio
Ubuntu Gnome Studio

And, the Studio bit would be more of an overlay for these existing
flavors.