Just realized a very simple solution to basing on other metas - using a
script.
So, our -desktop package(s) would no longer be metas, but include an
install script for how to install the desktop.
It would include anything from an existing meta, blacklist some items
like artwork, and the package would in turn depend on our artwork.

This approach creates a problem with updates though. The package
scripting would need a mechanism for making sure the system is kept
clean in line with what the meta package would do.

The simplest way is of course just to copy seed files, remove theming,
add our own.