On Wed, 21 May 2014, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:

An ubuntustudio-audio-minimal package would make it easier for users to
install only the core audio applications for the audio workflows. Also,
it could be used in our suggested smaller ISO.

What should it include?

Out of the current packages available, I'm thinking:

# audio plumbing and tools
jackd

I am assuming this is the jackd we have now that includes jackdbus.

a2jmidid
alsa tools and utils (alsa-tools, alsa-tools-gui, alsa-utils)
ffado (ffado-tools, ffado-dbus-server, ffado-mixer-qt4)
pulseaudio-module-jack
gladish

The only thing I can think that is missing is some kind of patch bay for jack. I would suggest jack.tools too. (in fact, even though it is CLI only I would suggest adding it to the main ISO as well.) I am thinking in terms of tools that can be used for automated testing from scripts.

# ubuntu studio kernel
linux-lowlatency (already depends on rtirq-init)
rtirq-init

# midi essentials
vkeybd
midi tools (gmidimonitor, qmidiarp, qmidinet, qmidiroute)
jack
zita-ajbridge

Possibly also jack-rack and a small selection of great plugins?

Many of these assume X. I don't have a comment one way or the other really. I am guessing the small iso already presupposes X and gtk so ubiquity can run. I would suggest trying to keep the lib set needed as small as we can. That is try to fill this with meta with tools that are all based on the same toolkit. For example, you have not included qjackctl, but it would pull in all the qt libs. The starting and stopping of jackd(bus) does not require much, but the patchbay for many people needs to be there. I know -controls is meant to be able to set up and run jackd(bus) but is it also intended to allow connecting jack ports?

Speaking of patchbays. A qjackctl like patchbay for PA would be nice too, I have seen a lot of people asking how to route audio from application to application with pulse.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net