On Wed, 21 May 2014, Jimmy Sjölund wrote:

Shouldn't there be a DAW of some kind? Ardour is the main that comes to
mind, but I suppose is rather big?

No. Not in the audio-minimal. There are a number of daws around, but what we do want to include is enough so that any DAW will work. I am personally not sure about including plugins. A reasonably complete synth (hopefully GM based) so sound can be made, But not a beat box or sequencer as that is a user choice. We are moving out of the huge meta thing and into choosing applications that the user wants for their workflow. There are some people who might be happy with no MIDI stuff at all. My own reality is that all of my recording to this point has used no Synth sounds or MIDI control. So I could be very happy with guitarix and ardour plus a good set of effects plugins.

On the other hand, the SW/OS I have on my drive takes up a very small percentage of drive space even with all of studio on it plus other SW on top of that. Our custom menu keeps all these applications managable.

Once we add an application, it can be removed.... but, that application may have brought in depends that would not be removed with the removal of that app. It would be best just to install those things that are wanted/needed in the first place as much as possible.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net