Personally, having used Gnome3 ever since it was released, I have no use
whatsoever for a traditional DE. The main upsides with Gnome3 for me are
two things: 1.speed 2.simplicity.
Also, the menu is not central for Ubuntu Studio. It's only needed for
DEs that have menus, as those menus otherwise get cluttered.

Our job is to make multimedia production work on Ubuntu, generally - on
all its flavors. And, really, there aren't that many things we need to
worry about when it comes to the DE for that to happen. The custom menu
is nice, again for the DEs that have menus. But, what we still are
missing is gui tools for tuning the system appropriately.