On Tue, 19 May 2015, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:

Here's the feature definition page for ubuntustudio-menu
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/FeatureDefinitions/UbuntuStudioMenu

Thank you

In the proposal for the 15.10 menu..

CHANGES:
* I renamed sub-category "audio processing" to "effects", which seemed
like a more common name (I think Len already suggested this as well)
* I renamed sub-category "sound generators" to "instruments", for the
same reason

OK

* Photography was moved to be a sub-category to graphics, which is more
in line with freedesktop categorization

While this makes sense. If photography is made a sub menu of graphics then someone working in photography will have to go to a sub menu for almost everything. So putting photography in graphics to me means a merge rather than a sub menu.

* Publishing was moved to be a sub-category to grahics, for the same
reason

Again this makes sense except for the other suggestion of putting CD/DVD authoring tools in with publishing then might make these tools hard to find.

ADDITIONS:
* "Audio Utlities" was suggested by Len - Not a freedesktop category ( I
would also like to see which desktop files will go in there)

It would probably include a lot of what is in mixers now and possibly that is the submenu/categories that need work. A working mixer such as non-mixer or idjc or mixxx do not really need a submenu/category. But ALSA controls for various cards might make more sense. So maybe our mixers sub menu is named wrong.

Why I don't want to add categories "sequencer", "recorder" to the main
category "audio", all though they are freedesktop categories is simply
because very few applications are only doing those things. Perhaps if we
add a category for DAW, it would also make more sense to use sequencer
and recorder for applications that are not DAWs in the same fashion.

At least two DAWs are using "AudioEditer" now.

"Video" is not regarded as a big category for some reason. There are no
sub categories for that, other than perhaps "recorder" and "player",
which are the same for both "audio" and "video". Do we need more
categories here?

Categories are fine, but they also need to fill a practical purpose. If
only one desktop file in all of Ubuntu repo ends up in a subcategory,
there is probably no reason to have it in our menu - that is what the
main categories are for. That said, it's probably better we add more
than less, and then judge by the result which can be removed later.

I agree, we don't need lots of categories, but a split between creation and playback/viewing would be very nice. Also, a solid split between audio and video. The practical purpose in the end is to be able to organize things so that not too many applications end up in one menu. So far Audio seems to be the worst one for too many applications.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net