I've played with other browsers (rekonq in particular) but never found a way to
keep
them from coming up unique in Panopticlick. Thus they are too easily tracked
and can
only be used with websites known not to contain any ads, trackers, or 3ed party
analytic
tools.

One of the problems is that the security plugin infrastructure that has grown up
around Firefox is difficult to duplicate on another browser. I use NoScript,
Ghostery,
and Canvasblocker plus a long list of blocked servers in /etc/hosts. These
plugins are
almost mandatory to stop cookieless tracking, browser fingerprinting,
supercookies,
etc.  We are engaged in an arms race with the black hats that devise new ways
to tracking
people for the likes of Google, Facebook, and all those sleazy ad networks.

The sypware you have to find and disable in Firefox is bad enough that ideally
it would
be forked and stripped down. On the other hand, the Internet as a whole has
become
extremely malicious. ANY website that is monetized in any way should be
regarded as
an attack vector.  Some (Google and Facebook especially) are among the most
malicious
sites on the entire web when it comes to privacy.  On the other hand, any
website that might
be unpopular with a government agency is  subject to spoofing attacks, man in
the middle
attacks, and even  the potential for redirection to malicious copies of the
server in a governmental
version of phishing. Think Google's "safebrowsing" database will call out a DHS
 phish site?

Imagine living in a city where the grocer will attempt to pick your pocket, the
banker
will try to find your home so he can clean out your safe, half of all ATM's are
fakes
set up by criminals to harvest deposits, and the police are terrorists
protecting a
dictatorship.  The entire Internet is just such a city.

When it really counts, I bring out the big guns by firing up Torbrowser.