This same issue also exists between Ubuntu and Debian, causing unsolvable time
differences
between the two on a dual booting machine. I didn't know that timedatectl was
simply being
ignored in Ubuntu!

What I would want would be a hardware clock that the OS can't change, set to
local time in
all cases. I never use network time updating due to the issue of having a
requirement for machines
that do not reveal their IP address to anything I do not deliberately connect
to.  Unfortunately
Tor requires knowing the time zone to work so as to avoid time based attacks.
Thankfully it does
NOT require network time!