On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 14:27:37 -0400, lukefro...@hushmail.com wrote:
>If this is only Ubuntu's systemd version, that would mean a file
>somewhere is telling systemd to ignore timedatectl. That file could be
>edited, possibly all systemd time services masked to shut off
>systemd's control over the time settings?

This never happened for Arch Linux in around 2 or 3 years of
using systemd.

In the meanwhile I posted to Ubuntu users
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2015-July/281648.html .

As long as there's no documentation for Ubuntu available, I don't know
what files to check.

$ cat /mnt/moonstudio/etc/timezone
Europe/Berlin

$ ls -lh /mnt/moonstudio/etc/localtime
/mnt/moonstudio/etc/localtime -> ../usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin

$ grep UTC /mnt/moonstudio/etc/default/rcS
# assume that the BIOS clock is set to UTC time (recommended)
UTC=no

I also have no clue were the list of the modules that should be loaded
is located:

$ ls -hAl /mnt/moonstudio/etc/modules-load.d/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jul 25 22:50 modules.conf -> ../modules

$ cat /mnt/moonstudio/etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

No entries ;).

I'll try /mnt/moonstudio/etc/modprobe.d/ to blacklist modules, but I
still wonder why they get loaded in the first place. By making a
minimal install I still need to check what services are started and
what kernel modules are loaded, not to mention that I had/have to purge
unwanted software.

Perhaps it's just because it's the development version.