The CPU governor is easily controlled in any DE. Ubuntu offers
indicator-cpufreq, which will also work as a tray applet when not
in Unity. I've used it in MATE, IceWM, Cinnamon, even gnome-shell
so it should have no trouble in XFCE either.  Many DE's offer their
own CPU governor controls (Cinnamon and MATE both do) but
this one is cross-DE and can be used to set any available CPU
governor as needed.

I normally turn it all the way up for video rendering due to Kdenlive
slowing on the OnDemand governor and use OnDemand for everything
else.