On Mon, 2 Apr 2018, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:

I had started to mangle ubuntustudio-controls in a way that I thought would work best for beginners. It allowed using a USB mic (one of the most common causes of problems these days) by just plugging it in. It handles hot plugged USB audio devices as well as using the internal MB audio along with PCI(e) interfaces. It also allows using the pulse-jack bridge even when jack is set to freerunning. However, I have been too busy to finish it.

This would be amazing. I’m not much of a coder, but if you can find someone to hand that off to, or if you could find the time to finish it (at lest to an alpha stage) that would be great.

Looking at the what has been uploaded so far will give some idea, there is a build at: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntustudio-dev/+archive/ubuntu/autobuild

But I notice no one has updated it to put out 18.04 builds as well. The GUI is pretty close to where I was going, but I have done a lot locally since then. I should probably do a workaround for where I was stuck at for now so it runs :) right now the daemon runs, but the GUI can't talk to it on my local version. (my knowlage of dbus in python is just not there)

My proposal would be to move from Xfce to MATE, or even to KDE Plasma now that Plasma 5 has reduced resources compared to the way it was historically. Ideally, we’d present the user with the option at install, but I’m not sure how technically feasible that would be. Either way, it’s worthy of discussion, and perhaps even a survey.

gnome3 or mate do not at bother me at this point. KDE however, is broken (won't be fixed) for multi-window applications such as Gimp or Ardour. KDE does not follow standards in the area of window stacking with the result that a window that should be on top may be hidden behind something else. As Studio is a working platform with applications that tend to more windows rather than fewer, such things are important.

If someone really wishes to use KDE they can install Studio's metas... at least that way if complaints are made, it is not officially supported and such a user can be refered back to the KDE devs. Maybe if they get enough complaints about not supporting standards they will change.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net