On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 16:09:24 -0700, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
>My proposal would be to move from Xfce to MATE

Ubuntu Mate is pretty good these days. It's the distro and desktop
environment I would recommend to users who want something working OOTB
for mailing, browsing and office work and who don't want to go further
into Linux. Actually I'm using Ubuntu Mate 17.10 from a DVD to
backup my Ubuntu and Arch Linux installs and all my data. When making
backups I test different live media from time to time and Ubuntu Mate is
one of the better, if not the best OOTB working Linux.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm using openbox only for my installs.

I'm aware that for Xfce4 changed a lot within the last years. I once
used it myself and for good reasons stopped using it. However, there is
one good reason to stay with Xfce4, as long as it shouldn't become
buggy, bloated or should suffer seriously from anything else.

Users who decided to install Ubuntu Studio are used to Xfce4, migrating
to another desktop environment does break their workflow and it would
be tricky to run do-release-upgrade.

Users who want Ubuntu Studio with another desktop environment or just a
window manager such as openbox, could install another Ubuntu flavour,
even use the server image and install the desired meta-packages, see
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=ubuntustudio&searchon=names&suite=artful&section=all
 .

Secondarily one benefit of Xfce4 perhaps still is, that it hopefully
still could be configured from command line by human readable
configurations, by just using an editor, set or echo. From command line
Mate requires usage of gsettings or dconf, so for those users who want
to learn more about Linux, Xfce4 seems to be the better starting point.
IMO people who want to stay with Linux as their operating system,
should learn how the infrastructure works. There's no need to become a
coder, but soon or later it's wise to become a power user through fun,
not by a hard learning curve.