6/3/2018 2:04 PM, lukefro...@hushmail.com wrote:
> One place you may need more detail (or to tell people to look online for it
> is the mess created by UEFI and secure boot for new installs on
> computers from the Windows 8 and later eras. The advice given about trying
> from a USB stick and how easy it is applies only to machines with a real BIOS
> (sold with Windows 7 and earlier or rare Linux preinstalls). or to machines
> on
> which someone else has already disabled secure boot at least. Unless US
> installers are using a SIGNED kernel(this I do not know), they are not going
> to boot US  on
> anything that still has Secure Boot turned on. Legacy boot should not be
> needed,
> but will of course work fine if someone has already turned it on while
> turning Secure Boot
> off.  Also, there are some junk Lenovo laptops that do a string check to
> block everything
> but Windows 8 and RHEL, but will boot other OS's if the boot executable is
> renamed to march
> either of those.
>
> I had to install Ubuntu on one laptop for a friend that was an almost exact
> copy of a
> machine she had that died-except for a later UEFI version. The new version
> was buggy,
> and could not boot any linux distro without updating the UEFI again, which
> had to be done
> from within Windows 10. For someone not willing to activate Win10, that's a
> return to the store. My friend had paid a local techician $90 just to rid her
> first of these
> machines of Windows 10, and that second one would have been even more had I
> not been
> able to find the issue. Without my own (running) machine to access the
> Internet it would not
> have been possible to even research what was wrong other than from inside
> Windows 10.
>
> There are some Win10 machines that cannot even get to the UEFI screen except
> from
> inside Windows (and AFTER activating Windows) unless you can remove the
> drive (not possible if soldered down or too hard to disassemble) or otherwise
> forcibly cause boot failure. These are the ones with "fast boot" enabled.
> This skips
> things like initializing the keyboard, USB etc  in firmware,  so there is no
> way to even
> ask for a USB boot much less execute one until fast boot is turned off.
> Some have reported success with repeated power cycling during boot to simulate
> a failure of Windows to boot.  but I have not played with one of those "fast
> boot" machines
> so I do not know.
>
> More recently, when I my good BIOS-based Atom netbook died, the closest
> replacment was a bottom-barrel Chromebook. Unfamiliar with the process for
> [...]

Luke,

I understand your frustrations on this, but I'm afraid it will fall on
deaf ears in this mailing list since the issues don't seem to be
specific to Ubuntu Studio.

Peter can correct me if I'm wrong, but I would say technical stuff like
that is far beyond the scope of this handbook. It might seem like
something easy to teach but in reality, it's not. I will say, however,
that there can be an area on the wiki for that, although, since it's not
Ubuntu Studio specific and applies to Ubuntu as a whole, it should be
included in the main Ubuntu wiki.

Remember, Ubuntu Studio is, to put it simply, a customized version of
Ubuntu. Under-the-hood things like UEFI, BIOS, and other items are not
within the scope of the Ubuntu Studio development team. For those
things, there's the main ubuntu-devel mailing list.

The scope of the Ubuntu Studio development team consists of the
ubuntustudio-* packages primarily. We do not develop Ubiquity (the
Ubuntu installer program). It is developed by the main Ubuntu
development team.

Also, and I cannot emphasize this enough, none of the Ubuntu Studio
developers are paid to do this. It is a completely volunteer project.

With that said, Luke, please take these frustrations to the ubuntu-devel
mailing list so that the main Ubuntu Development team can have a go to
address these issues.

Erich