I just had this problem the other day.  I re-installed ubuntu studio on
my laptop and I ended up with this crazy ' only happening when I typed
it twice.  If I typed 's it gave me a different character that kind of
looked like 's but was some other character.

I apparently missed a character during the keyboard test during setup
and it gave me a U.S. English International (with dead keys) default
keyboard layout.

You have to go to system-preferences keyboard and change the layout.  It
took some experimentation until I figured out which one I actually
needed and I ended up with U.S. English and now it is fine.

Larry Lines