greg emond wrote:

> > > This version doesn't make my subwoofer knock stuff off my
> > > shelves any more, which is sort of a downside, but the advantage
> is you can
> > > hear every sound from the trumpet in this mix (which is sort of a
> > > downside.)
> >
> > But seriously, I just listened to the first one. I thought I had a
> pretty
> > good mix before I recorded it, and looked at the waveform.
> >
> > After chasing a better looking picture as much as anything else,
> going back in
> > the opposite direction as depicted on one of those brick wall rant
> sites,
> > more toward how things used to look in days of yore, I have to say the
> > difference is immediate and obvious.
> >

> here is my 2 cents about mastering.... and only 2 cents, caus I suck
> at it too
> there is a reason why I send my mixes to a professionnal mastering
> house ;)
>
> what you see on your pics is the "sideways" picture of the wave...
> so you see how "loud" they are, but you dont "see" which frequency is
> loud.
>
> if you have an overload in treble (trumpet?), it will hit the "wall"
> and everything else
> will dissapear.
>
> and thats where the beauty of jamin starts.  just click the spectrum
> view, and either
> cut down by eq, or compress the overload, and THEN compress (expand?)
> the shit out of it...
>
> so the WHOLE array of frequencys hit the wall, not just one small
> section of it.
>
> end of 2 cents....and sorry for my pretentious babble.
> <http://g.msn.ca/ca55/217>

"so the WHOLE array of frequencys hit the wall, not just one small
section of it."

NO! NO! NO!

This is why we have music where the entire mix of a song is as loud as
every other.

You're recommending he kill the dynamic range of the song. This is
exactly what wrong with mastering in the last 10 years.

I can control my volume knob thank you. ;)

Music is supposed to have quiet/loud parts. Someone would be killed if
they did Jazz or classical this way. It boggles my mind whey people
would accept it with other music.

Not to mention that listing to a whole album this way is tiresome. This
is well documented.

-Cory \m/