On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Eric Hedekar <aftertheb...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Eric Hedekar <aftertheb...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 6:35 AM, mac <sue...@empire.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, so why bother to add frebob and ffado to the distro and NOT have
>>> raw1394 loaded by default?
>>>

>> Because it's a security risk to have raw1394 loaded by default - at least
>> until the new juju firewire stack is implemented (a goal for 9.10).
>>
>> If you need raw1394 added you can do so easily in the  System ->
>> Administration -> Ubuntu Studio Controls application.  Simply check the
>> 'Enable raw1394 access' checkbox, then click apply.
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> -Eric
>

> The following quote is taken from the "Ubuntu Studio 8.04 -> 9.04 Upgrade"
> thread:
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 8:39 AM, mac <sue...@empire.net> wrote:
>>

>> ffado is basically useless without it, so ask the user during install if
>> they are using a fw device, if so activate raw1394 and note that it is a
>> security issue (just as the Studio Controls do). if they respond no,
>> don't even bother with ffado.
>>

> *Rant warning*
> Please consider your tone next time you request a feature.  It would be
> really nice to have a detection script in the installer that adjusts the
> contents of the audio metapackage (as well as a similar script for everyone
> that downloads the metas ontop of their vanilla system), but we simply don't
> have such a magical feature yet.
> Feature requests that come in the form of "Ok, so why bother to add frebob
> and ffado to the distro and NOT have raw1394 loaded by default?" do nothing
> for the Ubuntu Studio community other than piss off the developers.  I'd
> much rather be playing teatime with my daughter this Sunday morning than
> answering pissed off people who can't be bothered to go through five mouse
> clicks to configure their own bloody system.  Others would prefer to be
> working on things that they're actually paid to do.  Maybe next time we just
> won't bother packaging the FFADO drivers and instead you can compile
> everything from scratch - would you prefer that?
>
> The Ubuntu Studio developers are giving up their time to make your life
> easier.  Don't take such a flippant tone with them.  If you really think the
> OS is in such a bad state that it's not useable, maybe consider assisting
> with the testing of the new juju firewire stack when it's ready for testing
> (better yet, help get it ready for testing) - it takes care of the raw1394
> permissions issue.
>
> -Eric

You're right about the tone. But I have to agree that as shipped, the OS is
in a pretty bad, unusable state. I'm saying that to be productive, not
disrespectful. I don't know what it is about the realtime kernel, but it
froze my system in beta, RC, and the final release. Maybe it's my own fault
for not filing an official bug report, but I did bring it up on numerous
occasions in the irc channel. The raw1394 situation has always been a bit
annoying in these audio/video distributions, considering they are come
across as being ready to use out of the box. This is not, and has never been
the case, and that's not just Ubustu specific.

It does however kind of defeat the purpose of a pro audio/video distribution
if you can't record audio and video out of the box. It becomes no different
than a vanilla ubuntu distro with a few multimedia packages installed.

I'm more than happy to assist in testing the juju stack and any future
kernels, but I wanted to note to the developers; We do appreciate your time
and effort, we're just a bit frustrated with the current user experience.
There is good reason for the frustration, and while getting attitude from
end users is unpleasant, the sentiment can be productive.

--
Luke MacNeil
www.lukemacneil.com