Mr. DeShaw:
   Solely reading what you say, leads me to believe a need exists to test,
verify that the install did not kill the HP DVD Writer 840d. If I didn't two
family members in separate hospitals, I review bugs related to installation
kills. Appears very rare that 9.10 & 10.04 produce a dead HP DVD Writer 840d
reading. Suggest google may supply you a work around.
    Thanks for letting Ubuntu Studio techs have a chance to solve the
mystery.

Ken