I have the crazy idea that Ubuntu Studio should be user oriented.

If that was the case, ubuntu studio needs to solve two really big issues:
   1) complexity: PA vs Jack => ubuntu studio vs the user, Windows and Mac
will win
   2) stability: jacks crashes, timidity crashes, etc.....

Shouldn't JACK+Timidity start with init.d and be stable, working without
issues with PA ?

My Two cents.

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 5:53 PM, teza <tsalio...@orange.fr> wrote:

> Le 07/06/2010 22:29, Hartmut Noack a écrit :
> > Am 07.06.2010 21:46, schrieb Scott Lavender:
> >

> >> As project lead I hope to provide active, direct leadership in a
> transparent
> >> manner.
> >>
> > Transparency is indeed crucial. It is a major advantage of free software
> > and I think it could be pushed some more in Ubuntu overall. Personally I
> > have noticed your efforts in that field and appreciate them a lot :-)
> >

> >> We are working on JACK and Pulse Audio integration via dbus and the
> Alpha 1
> >> ISO is available for all to begin testing.  Obviously finding stable
> >> integration between JACK and Pulse Audio would be a marked improvement
> in
> >> usability.
> >>
> > I love to see this improve but still I think, it will not be easy to
> > diminish the hatred against PA that many users have accumulated.
> >
> > The overall design of PA is capable to solve many many problems for
> > Linux Audio and I think, we have no better approach and I am sure, that
> > nobdy on earth really wants any all new experiments so PA should be
> > pushed I think.
> >
> > BUT to gain the trust of the users PA must become much more
> > user-configurable then before. The first step should be a "disable
> > PA"-switch in a decent, accessible GUI (could be a mixer). This should
> > be possible *without* removing PA alltogether and PA should be really
> > absolute passive if this switch is flicked by the user.
> >

> >> LV2 plugins are another area of improvement.  We began packaging these
> last
> >> cycle and continue this cycle.
> >>
> > That is very good news :-)
> > Can we have the all-new CALF-stuff from SVN?
> >

> >> Please let us know how we can improve Ubuntu Studio for you, just
> remember
> >> that we work within the Ubuntu paradigm, so all improvements must comply
> >> with those systemic restrictions (e.g. all applications in the official
> >> repositories).
> >>
> > Guitarix is very important and it makes astounding progress at the
> > moment. Brummer and freinds made this little crushing amp a veritable
> > powerstack usable for serious studio-use with full MIDI-learn, built-in
> > convolution-engine and many other pro-grade features.
> > And i have to stress this again: the new CALF-Plugins that are in the
> > works now will be a revolution in the world of native plugins for Linux.
> > Some are entirely new like the sidechain-compressor, others replace
> > bit-rotten LADSPA-plugins that do not work anymore like the powerfull
> > deesser. And most of them work allready:
> >
> > http://lapoc.de/img/calf-new10.png
> >
> > best regs
> > HZN/Berlin
> >

> Hi, I agree for Guitarix this software made a big jump lately. Where did
> you find the calf plugin you show in the picture?
> Thanks
> Best Regards
> Teza

Nuestra recompensa se encuentra en el
esfuerzo y no en el resultado. Un esfuerzo
total es una victoria completa.
                      --Gandhi