On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Jose H. <jose...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the crazy idea that Ubuntu Studio should be user oriented.
>
> If that was the case, ubuntu studio needs to solve two really big issues:
>    1) complexity: PA vs Jack => ubuntu studio vs the user, Windows and Mac
> will win
>    2) stability: jacks crashes, timidity crashes, etc.....
>
> Shouldn't JACK+Timidity start with init.d and be stable, working without
> issues with PA ?
>
> My Two cents.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, and suggest that Ubuntu Studio
should not be user oriented.  At least, not in the sense that a main
priority would be to make things as simple as possible.  It seems to me that
a lot of problems have resulted from the active marketing of Ubuntu Studio
as easy to use.

At this point, I've accepted that Linux audio is never going to be easy.
I've also accepted that this is a good thing, because the payoff is that the
software is of higher quality and greater versatility.  My suggestion is
that Ubuntu Studio should brand itself as a serious audio production system,
one the provides the highest quality tools out there, but that requires
patience and experience to utilize.  Not the easiest sell, but I'd say
closer to reality.

Having said that, I think there are a few things that could be done to make
Ubuntu Studio more user friendly.  The most obvious would be to make sure
that the user is automatically put in the 'audio' and 'video' groups, and
that firewire access is available out of the box without needing to mess
with Ubuntu Studio Controls.  This should allow JACK to start right away for
most users.  However, above all else, what Ubuntu Studio needs is much much
much better documentation and tutorials.

On a final note, a long running issue for me is how often a quality rt
kernel is left out of the releases.  On my system, at least, the RT kernel
is the only one that gives good enough performance.  The vanilla and preempt
kernels produce far too many x-runs.  I seem to have no problems with the
2.6.31 RT kernel, but it would be awfully nice to have a 32 version.
--
-Brian David