On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Scott Lavender <scottalaven...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 11:48 PM, Brian David <beej...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm going to play devil's advocate here, and suggest that Ubuntu Studio
>> should not be user oriented.  At least, not in the sense that a main
>> priority would be to make things as simple as possible.  It seems to me that
>> a lot of problems have resulted from the active marketing of Ubuntu Studio
>> as easy to use.
>>
>> At this point, I've accepted that Linux audio is never going to be easy.
>> I've also accepted that this is a good thing, because the payoff is that the
>> software is of higher quality and greater versatility.  My suggestion is
>> that Ubuntu Studio should brand itself as a serious audio production system,
>> one the provides the highest quality tools out there, but that requires
>> patience and experience to utilize.  Not the easiest sell, but I'd say
>> closer to reality.
>>

> Much discussion has occurred lately about what is Ubuntu Studio's
> audience.  To be honest, we really don't have too many clues.  I think we
> need to know more about our current and their needs so that we can better
> address them.
>
> However, I wouldn't try to sell Ubuntu Studio as "professional audio" at
> this point.  JACK and Pulse Audio integration, among other things, is an
> argument to this point.  I'm not saying the potential isn't there, because I
> believe it is, but it would require additional work.

You are right, it is probably not a good idea to start calling Ubuntu Studio
'pro' just yet.  I suppose the main thrust of what I'm saying is that we
should be up front about the fact that Ubuntu Studio is a complex and
advanced system, but point out how this is good thing by explaining the
benefits you gain if you're willing to learn.  People who are interested in
Ubuntu Studio should be able to have clear expectations about what they are
getting into.

I will try out those kernels as soon as possible, Alessio.  Thanks for the
help.

--
-Brian David