The Ubuntu Studio meta-packages won't install the rt kernel by default
anymore.  You will need to specifically install the linux-rt package, after
which GRUB will automatically allow you to choose from the kernels.

I'd also recommend looking at this page concerning the various kernels
available for Ubuntu Studio:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/RealTimeKernel

I'm not sure how it is in Maverick, but in Lucid, the rt kernel is patched
from an older generic kernel, and so it was more or less officially
recommended to use other kernels.  Personally, I've found that the RT kernel
is the only one that gives me the performance I want.

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Tim Cook <timothywayne.c...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-09-26 at 01:02 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:
> > welcome Tim... check out the IRC channel if you get a chance..
> > #ubuntustudio on freenode...
> > also.. http://www.opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/ ...i bet your
> > development skills would be welcome...
> >
> > ... im holstein on freenode...
>
> Thanks Mike.  I'll check it out. I'm 'twcook' on freenode.
>
> A question about -rt kernels.
>
> I went through the Ubuntu 10.04 to Ubuntu Studio (US) upgrade? via the
> Synaptic meta package :-)  I now have a US splash screen and I got all
> of the apps.
>
> qjackctl flashes the RT about once per second or so.
>
> But uname -a reports:
> Linux mlhim-dell-laptop 2.6.32-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 17
> 20:05:27 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Do I need to edit GRUB (is GRUB the Ubuntu bootmanager?) in order to
> have the RT Kernel boot by default?  Did anyone else experience this?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

> Timothy Cook, MSc
> Project Lead - Multi-Level Healthcare Information Modeling
> http://www.mlhim.org
>
> LinkedIn Profile:http://www.linkedin.com/in/timothywaynecook
> Skype ID == timothy.cook
> Academic.Edu Profile: http://uff.academia.edu/TimothyCook
>
> You may get my Public GPG key from  popular keyservers or
> from this link http://timothywayne.cook.googlepages.com/home

-Brian David