i learned about icecast and several clients at #opensourcemusicians (
http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/ ) ...

this guide and google helped me set up my icecast server that i run locally
http://www.deadbeatguitarist.com/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi

IDJC is quite nice, but probably not the best tool for the job... im unclear
as to what the goal is exactly... will you always be playing the track and
singing over it locally?? if so, the latency should be a non-issue..

i would say the best way to do this would be darkice from JACK to an icecast
server... i think the easiest way to do this would be using the B.U.T.T.
(broadcast using this tool) client... IF you need to play the file, and have
others *not* on your local network sing over them, i would suggest looking
at netjack or jacktrip, (but those are difficult to get going) or
the simpler http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ ... mumble is cross-platform
too...

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Mike Dickson <mike.dick...@rivendellnh.com
> wrote:

>  Hi!   I'm trying to set up a configuration to stream "karaoke" style
> audio (into SecondLife for a open mic performance).  I have jack running
> (and pulseaudio running through it) and have used IDJC successfully to
> stream.  I really haven't been able to use that to sing live because I
> get a small but very obvious delay in the vocals. I thought there must
> be a way to do software mixing similar to what you'd do in hardware:
> that is playing the karaoke track over headphones and adding my voice
> mixed down to one stream, then thats fed to IDJC.  If I have to I can
> pre-record the tracks though I'd really prefer a live setup if possible.
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions or pointers to howto's to set up a
> system for live performance like this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

MH