On 31.10.2010 01:58, Gerhard Lang wrote:
> Single xruns may happen even with very high latencies just after
> startup of an application, but not in a running setting. Intolerable
> loss of performance may be caused by crashed and zombified jackd or
> other audio applications.
> Esp. in the setup phase often jackd instances persist, so have a look
> into system monitor/processes and kill them if those are there.
> Some devices run better with periods/buffer 2, not 3.
> Look here for adjusting cpufrequency:
> http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Prozessortaktung
> Easiest way is using gnome-applets, just right click into a panel.
> I'd not recommend switching to lowlatency or realtime kernels in this
> state of progress; these later will save you the last reachable 5% of
> latency, but not give you the basic functions.

ok, this x-runs are not caused by single application starts. and i even
get xruns when i just run jack and nothing else. i mean, what the heck?
ok. i consider to install the rt-kernel. but its gone, aint? of course,
i could compile it by my own, but i know, i cant do it. it would be the
first time, that compiling by myself would go right. so, i think about
downgrading to 10.04. what is ok, because i dont use the
studio-installation for my daily work. i tried a buffer of 2 and 4, but
the same result. any other suggestions? if not, i continue with 10.04.
just hope, that the firewire-driver is part of this version. my last
perfectly working installation of US was 8.04 ;-)

thanks for the help